Back To Top
Mount Meru Climbing Safaris
Climbing Mount Meru is quite fascinating. It last erupted in 1910 therefore can be classified as an active volcano. Mount Meru is regarded as Mount Kilimanjaro's little sister, standing at 4,566m compared to 5,895m, but is still an impressive freestanding volcano, which makes a superb four day climb to the top. The town of Arusha lies at the base of Mount Meru Trekking, loads of trek companies do this trek. Wild animals are frequently found on this mountain therefore an armed ranger usually accompanies the trekkers. Mount Meru hiking is a strenuous climb so you need to be very fit in order to achieve this trek, you should be use to long trekking and had some high altitude experience. The first Mount Meru ascent was made by Dr. Fritz Jaeger, 1904.
Since Mt. Meru is easily accessible from Arusha, you can be booked into a hotel in Arusha in order to climb Mt Meru. You can also fly into Nairobi or Kilimanjaro and catch the shuttle bus to either town.
From Kilimanjaro airport is about one and a quarter hours to Arusha. From Nairobi airport it is about 5 hours drive to Arusha which is an interesting drive and gives you a good feel about the place and the way people live. Well worth the trip! This trek is often done as a warm up and acclimatization climb for Mount Kilimanjaro. Many tour companies offer a combination package. The mountain is un spoilt and less congested as compared to it's Mount Kilimanjaro and Mount Kenya counterparts.
Arrival - Nairobi / Kilimanjaro Airport
On arrival at the Jomo Kenyatta international Airport, you will be transferred to Arusha arriving ready for lunch and then to Moshi town where you will be accommodated ready for the climbing the next day. Alternatively, on arrival at the at Kilimanjaro Airport, you will be met by our tour manager who will then transfer you to your hotel for overnight rest on bed and breakfast ready for next day climbing expedition.
Mt Meru Climbing / Trekking Mount Meru
Duration: 4 Days/3 nights, Location: Mount Meru, Arusha, Tanzania
Day 2: Mariakamba Hut - Saddle HutDay 1: Arusha - Mariakamba Hut
Mt. Meru Park Gate - Mariakamba: 4-5 hours
After an early breakfast, you will be driven from Arusha to the Mt. Meru park gate where you will be met by our game ranger and porters. Hike for the few hours to Mariakamba Hut at 8,500 ft. From here you may wish to take an evening walk on the slopes to view wildlife at one of the watering holes in the crater. Dinner and overnight rest at Mariakamba Hut, L,D
Mariakamba - Saddle Hut: 3-4 hours
After breakfast hike to up to 11,500 ft to arrive at Saddle Hut. If time permits you can climb a little further on Mount Meru for a scenic view of the 'Roof of Africa', Mount Kilimanjaro. This will also be part of more acclimatization. Overnight at Saddle Hut, B,L,D
Day 3: Saddle Hut - Summit - Mariakamba Hut
Saddle Hut - Summit: 4-6 hours
An early rise to hike all the way to the summit before the afternoon clouds cover the summit. From the summit, descend back to the 11,500 ft Saddle Hut in time for lunch. After lunch, hike down to Mariakamba Hut for dinner and overnight, B,L,D.
Day 4: Mariakamba Hut - Arusha
Breakfast at the camp and a leisurely morning. Descend to the park gate to connect with your waiting transfer vehicle back to your Arusha Hotel.
Group of 9-12
|US $ 440 per person|
|Group of 6-8
||US $ 445 per person|
|Group of 3-5
||US $ 470 per person|
|Group of 2
||US $ 510 per person|
|Single person||US $ 735|
Package Includes and Excludes
Prices quoted include:
* Transport to and from Nairobi to Arusha or Kilimanjaro Airport to Arusha town and back
* Transport from your hotel to the Park Gate,
* Mt Meru route trek as itinerary depicts
* All services begin and end at Nairobi / Kilimanjaro Airport as per the itinerary
* Accommodation and 3 meal plan while in mountain huts or tents when camping
* Service of an English speaking professional Mountain guide on the mountain, porters and skilled cook together with treated water on the trek
* All National Park entrance and camp site fees, Rescue fees, Hut fees,
* All food - breakfasts, lunches (packed if necessary) and evening meals prepared by our own cook.
* Return airport transfers from/to Nairobi / Kilimanjaro Airport
* Travel and personal accident insurancePrices quoted exclude:
* Tips, Visas, International flights and taxes
* Personal hiking equipment-sleeping bags, boots etc
* Expenditure on all drinks
* Medical evacuation insurance
* Items of a personal nature and any other extras not detailed in the above itinerary